The Animal Control and Animal Shelter Ordinance number 15-06 was adopted On May 19, 2015, and amended by Ordinance number 2017-17 which was adopted on October 3, 2017.
The following is the Redemption Of Impounded Animals section of the Ordinance.
6.04.120 Redemption of Impounded Animals
1. An owner of an animal impounded pursuant to this Chapter may redeem the animal upon compliance with the following requirements:
(A) Proof of ownership of the impounded animal;
(B) Proof of identification, such as a driver’s license or state issued identification card;
(C) Payment of the redemption fee, payment of any necessary medical fees incurred during the animal’s impoundment, and any other fees incurred by the Porter County Animal Control, Porter County Sheriff’s Department, and/or Porter County Animal Shelter resulting from the animal’s impoundment;
(D) Proof of current rabies vaccination. If proof of vaccination is not available, a receipt showing pre-payment of scheduled rabies vaccination must be presented before the animal is released to the owner. Proof of vaccination must be received at the Porter County Animal Shelter within two (2) business days after the animal’s release, or the animal will be subject to immediate impoundment; and
(E) Proof of a current Indiana license tag for any impounded dog must be shown.
2. The owner of the impounded animal shall pay all impoundment and redemption fines and fees, in full, prior to the animal being released from the Porter County Animal Shelter.
3. Release of the impounded animal to its owner may be denied by the Porter County Animal Control and/or the Porter County Animal Shelter Director if it is determined the animal is vicious or dangerous, diseased, a danger to public health and safety of the citizens of Porter County or for any other good and sufficient reason at the discretion of Porter County Animal Control and/or the Porter County Animal Shelter Director.
4. In the event an animal is denied return to its owner by the Porter County Animal Control, the Shelter Director, or any other official having authority to impound animals under this Chapter, the owner and animal shall be subject to the following bond procedure:
(A) The owner shall be given written notice of the decision to retain the animal and provided with a bond amount and initial hearing date. The hearing date shall be within thirty (30) days of receipt of notice.
(B) To prevent disposition of the animal prior to the hearing date, and not later than ten (10) days after written notice of the animal’s retention, the owner must post a bond with the Porter County Clerk’s office.
(C) The bond amount shall be sufficient to provide for the animal’s care and keeping for at least thirty (30) days, beginning on the date of first impoundment.
(D) If a bond expires, and is not renewed within ten (10) days of expiration, or if the owner fails to post an initial bond, ownership of the animal shall be assigned to the Porter County Animal Shelter, and the animal may be disposed of in accord with Animal Shelter policies.
(E) Any animal subject to such bond may be euthanized if it has been determined by a licensed veterinarian to be suffering extreme pain, or if it is jointly determined by the impounding official, attending veterinarian, and/or the supervisor of the facility at which the animal is impounded, that said animal cannot be reliably handled or cared for without significant risk to the safety and welfare of the custodians during the impoundment.
(F) Once disposition of animal is determined, any bond posted shall be released to the Porter County Animal Shelter to cover the costs for impoundment and care of said animal for the number of days the animals was in custody of the Porter County Animal Shelter. Any unused portions of the bond shall be returned to the individual who posted the bond.
5. The animal redemption fees shall be as follows:
(A) First Redemption Fee: $50.00 (altered animal)/ $75.00 (intact animal)
(B) Second Redemption Fee: $75.00 (altered animal)/ $100.00 (intact animal)
(C) Third and any Subsequent Redemption Fees: $100.00 (altered animal) / $125.00 (intact animal)
6. An animal that has been previously impounded and is now being redeemed for the third or subsequent redemption within a twelve (12) month period is required to be:
(A) Implanted with a microchip at the owner’s expense for the purpose of future identification and recovery; and
(B) Spayed or neutered by a licensed veterinarian at the owner’s expense prior to the Porter County Animal Shelter relinquishing the animal to the owner. If owner is unable to pay the full costs associated with spaying or neutering the animal, the Porter County Animal Shelter Director may enter into a payment agreement with the owner, or the owner may sign over ownership rights to the Porter County Animal Shelter.
(C) The owner of the animal shall be informed of the requirements in (A) and (B) when they request relinquishment of their animal from the Porter County Animal Shelter.
Porter County Animal Control serves all of Porter County EXCEPT FOR THE CITY OF PORTAGE. All information contained in this section of the website is only applicable to the areas served by Porter County Animal Control. If you live in the City of Portage, you will need to contact them directly at (219) 763-1825, as they may have different policies and ordinances.