The Animal Control and Animal Shelter Ordinance number 15-06 was adopted On May 19, 2015, and amended by Ordinance number 2017-17 which was adopted on October 3, 2017.
The following is the Animals Running At Large Prohibited section of the Ordinance.
(Scroll down to download the complete Animal Control Ordinance.)
6.04.090 Animals Running at Large Prohibited
1. No owner of any dog or domestic pet shall permit such dog or domestic pet to run at large, except domestic cats may be allowed to run loose off the owner’s premises so long as the cat does not create a public nuisance, is spayed/neutered, and in the case of wild/feral cats is ear-tipped to indicate its altered status.
2. Each owner of any dog or domestic pet shall, at all times, keep and maintain his dog or domestic pet confined or under restraint.
3. This subsection shall not apply to dogs when engaged in lawful hunting and accompanied by the owner or custodian or any other activity expressly permitted under Indiana Law.
4. Animals found to be running at large are subject to impoundment by the Porter County Animal Control Officers, the Porter County Sheriff’s Department, and any other law enforcement agents.
5. Fines for violating this Section of the Animal Control Ordinance shall be as follows:
(A) First Offense: $50.00 (B) Second Offense: $75.00 (C) Third and Subsequent Offenses: $100.00
Download Complete Ordinance
Porter County Animal Control serves all of Porter County EXCEPT FOR THE CITY OF PORTAGE. All information contained in this section of the website is only applicable to the areas served by Porter County Animal Control. If you live in the City of Portage, you will need to contact them directly at (219) 763-1825, as they may have different policies and ordinances.